Ep #157 — We Are ALL Joy Creators During the live broadcast last week my friend (and marketing guru) Jodi Hersh commented that she loves making things. I’ve known and worked with her since 1996 (you do the math!) and I can tell you that creating is core to her being, it informs how she…
Episode #156 — My friend Alexis Ramer-Artin told me that “We can listen when the Universe whispers in our ear or wait until it hits us in the head with a bat.” Those whispers are always around us. There are signs all around us. Yet so often we move through our lives unconsciously, deaf to those…
“Getting better at doing what you do is a natural result of getting better at being who you be.”
You always have a choice. You’re not stuck, you’re not bound by a fixed set of capacity and capability, and you don’t have to be at the whim of unconscious beliefs. You are limitless. If you change your mindset you WILL change your life.
“Work/Life Balance Is Killing Us”
Our conversation was deep, raw, playful, and rich with learning.
Ann always asks her guests for books that they recommend. Here are the books I offered up: “Mindset Mondays with DTK: 52 Ways to REWIRE Your Thinking and Transform Your Life” by David Taylor-Klaus, “Soulbbatical: A Corporate Rebel’s Guide to Finding Your Best Life” by Shelley Paxton, “Only 10s 2.0: Confront Your To-Do List and Transform Your Life” by Mark J. Silverman, “Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind” by Yuval Noah Harari
Mindset Mondays with DTK – Ep #155 — Burning energy or finding gifts? Three years ago on the first episode of Mindset Mondays, everything went haywire … including (OK, especially) me. I lost my composure and when I look back at that broadcast, that’s all I see. Three years later, I got a reminder of…
“We don’t see the world as it is. We see the world as we are.”
“If all meaning is made up, why not make up something that serves?”
On The Virtual Campfire, we discussed how to follow your passion healthily and happily. We talk about the dangerous myth that, if it’s hard, it’s good. We discussed the importance of seeking help and accepting it when it’s offered. On this show, I emphasized the crucial role my family has played in my life and elaborates on the importance of community. Humans are wired for connection, and its important to change your lens in order to bring about the reality you want to see. Listen in!
- The REWIRE framework (replacing an unhelpful behavior with a helpful one): 1. Reflect 2. Experiment 3. Write 4. Investigate 5. Revise 6. Expand (to other areas)
- Of these six areas, people tend away most from writing and expanding. Watch out that you don’t fall into the same trap!
- Expand your influence by using the Cascade Effect: Serving and leading people who will do the same for others.
- Use the 10-10-10 tool: Take three timelines (minutes, hours, days, years, decades, etc.). What will the impact of this decision be in 10 ___, 10 ___, and 10 ___)?
- Leaders need to understand the impact of their “leadership impact wake” and the gap between what it is and what they intend it to be.
- Managers achieve a given goal as effectively as possible, but entrepreneurs decide what they want to be true and create the conditions to make that truth a reality.
Episode #154 — More Gratitude, Less Platitude A search for quotes about gratitude will yield an endless scroll-parade of images leaving your screen sticky from sugary platitudes. Ewww! And just like my late-night study-snack stockpile in the 1980s: all sweet, no substance. Yes. Gratitude is good. We all get that. Let’s move on … I’m…
Episode #153 — “I’m absolutely certain that certainty is bad!” Our brains are wired to perceive uncertainty as a potential threat to our survival. In response, we seek out certainty wherever we can find it, preferring certainties – no matter how painful or uncomfortable they may be – to the unknown and the uncertain. Without…
“Morale is elevated when employees feel that the company has their back or is investing in them. Invest in team coaching. Surfacing the good, the bad and the ugly on the team allows a team to heal, grow, bond and perform at its best. Give your people the opportunity to live and lead at their best by helping them grow as a team.”